I'm a freelance web developer. I believe in extracting as much as possible from native web technologies and client capabilities to make fast and responsive sites. My SEO generally comes down to creating accessible page content. Humans-first, and the machines will follow. I also use microformats (primarily) and microdata to enable data exchange with search engines and other tools. I've even written (very simple) API's around microdata.
For small static sites, I write HTML files directly. For anything else, I use frameworks and templates. My favorite template language at the moment is Jinja, though Nunjucks, which I use for this site, is starting to grow on me. In the past year, I've come to appreciate the benefits of SVG for icons and logos, and how they can be used to encode visible data.
I used to work in restaurants, where I tinkered with POS systems and refactored third party web software to improve usability and efficiency. I also spent a fair amount of time keeping legacy hardware systems working long past their prime.
University of Massachusetts – Amherst
Bachelor of Arts Cum Laude with Commonwealth Honors -
web development (self-employed) –
- Greenbank Plant Nursery
- a static website built with Publii CMS, using Handlebars templates, and hosted by AWS (S3/Rt. 53/Cloudfront)
- Covid-19 Data
- a site showing trends in infections and deaths; built with Python scripts and Jinja templates; this is a collaborative effort
- Olympus Manor Coop
- a Drupal 8 site for a housing coop (requires password for all but the home page)
- Hostess Helper Party Planning Service
- Bon Fête Party Planning Service
- simple, static websites for two small businesses
- English (native language)
- reading ★★★☆☆
- writing ★★★☆☆
- listening/speaking ★★☆☆☆